There is mounting evidence that technology is repaving our economy. We have been saying for years that we are in a post-induslrial economy but it goes far beyond that. We are entering a post-scarcity economy and this undermines many of the fundamental principles of how people live and work that date back for centuries. MIT Economists Erik Brynolfsson and Andrew McAfee have explored this topic extensively in two books, The Second Machine Age and Race Against the Machine.
What we need to start understanding is that we are largely powerless to change the pace of change. There are strong economic factors which create demands for efficiency that will drive technological change and this, in turn, will challenge humans to adapt, both individually and societally. This means that new skill sets will come to the fore, which we need to teach, train, and embrace ourselves or risk being left behind.
In this world innovation and learning become increasingly indistinguishable. Innovation is learning about something hasn’t been invented yet. And as Alan Kay said, “The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” Teachers invent the future; innovation can be taught; and all true innovators are ultimately educators. Learners are self-innovators. Digital Transformation Services are designed to facilitate teaching others, teaching oneself, and reshaping organizations so that they will thrive and grow in the digital era.
Many organizations are struggling with the implications of the digital transformation happening to human society. IdeaSpaces Services are designed specifically to bring a digital perspective to bear on the analog problems confronting institutions today and to prepare them and their stakeholders for the digital future.
- Designing Innovation Organizations – We offer leadership consulting, workshops, and organizational analysis to facilitate innovation in your organization. Space-Time-Structure
- ELITE Strategy Workshops – We offer workshops using the ELITE Strategy to connect your curricular or business needs to built or virtual environments. Space
- Paradigm Shift Workshops – As I discuss in Discovering Digital Humanity, the primary barrier to digital transformation is ourselves and our organizational cultures. Many organizations struggle to apply innovation concepts within their cultural paradigms. We offer workshops using the Paradigm Shift brainstorming strategy to teach your teams how to apply systems thinking approaches to create dynamic real world innovation strategies. Space-Time-Structure
- Digital Communication Strategies – We offer workshops on using New Media to leverage new technologies in all communications strategies, from instruction to public relations. Time
- Technology Assessment – We will analyze technology systems using the Three-E methodology to determine how effectively they support use-case needs at your institution. Space
- Faculty Professional Development – Online and in-person workshops on adapting pedagogy to changing the changing demands being placed teaching and learning in the digital transformation. Time
- Futuring Workshops – Workshops for gaming out the future of technology and how your institution can adapt to the trends. Time
- Custom events and services on demand